The R. L Fanthorpe Write-Alike Contest
To Benefit the Susan C. Petrey Clarion Scholarship Fund*
The first, hopefully annual, R. L. Fanthorpe Write-Alike Contest is open to everyone. The goal is for contestants to emulate R. L. Fanthorpe’s early style as it is found in the Badger Books published by John Spencer in the 60s and 70s. In these early years of his career, Fanthorpe often wrote a book in a weekend by dictating into tape recorder, often padding or ending abruptly to meet strict word count imposed by the notoriously penny pinching publisher, John Spencer. For obvious reasons, this often resulted in humorous passages, both unintentional and intentional. Examples of this writing may be found at www.peltorro.com.
Rules of the Contest:
- Contestants will submit a piece of original work, not to exceed 600 words.
- Each entry will go into one of two categories:
- Original work in the style of Fanthorpe.
- Rewriting an existing work to read as if it had been written by Fanthorpe. This includes, but is not limited to, passages from literature, advertising, excerpts from commercial packaging, and famous speeches.
- Each entry must be accompanied by a $10 entry fee.
- Each contestant may enter as many times as desired, but each entry requires a separate entry form and fee.
- Contestants will agree that their entries may be published or used in any way that will benefit the Susan C. Petrey fund.
- Entries must be received by October 10, 2006.
- Entries may be submitted by regular mail with the fee paid by check or they may be submitted by email to email@example.com and the fees paid by PayPal using the same email address.
- A panel of judges will determine the winners. 60% of each entry fee will go directly to the Petrey Fund. Of the balance, 20% will go to the Grand Prize Winner and the remaining 20% will be equally divided between each category winner.
- Awards will announce at the beginning of the Petrey Auction at OryCon 28 and the winning submissions will be read throughout the auction.
For further inquiries email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 503-667-0807
*The Susan C. Petrey Clarion Scholarship Fund provides scholarships and other assistance to the Clarion Writers Workshops in Lansing, Michigan and Seattle, Washington. It operates under OSFCI, a non-profit and tax exempt organization.
Click here for the official flyer and entry form (PDF)
Return to the Susan C. Petrey Fund page